As an Associated Press correspondent from 1995 to 2017, I reported news of national and international importance in Maryland, the Washington, D.C., area and the eastern United States. See some of my recent work here: https://apnews.com/search/David%20Dishneau. Career highlights include:
– Baltimore riot and trials of six police officers following the death in custody of Freddie Gray in 2015.
– 2013 Court-martial of Chelsea Manning for leaking classified information to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks.
– The BP oil spill off the Gulf Coast of Louisiana in 2010.
– The coal-mine explosion in Sago, West Virginia, that killed 12 miners in 2006.
– The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina along the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and Louisiana in 2005.
– Trials of three soldiers charged in 2003 with abusing detainees at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.
– The FBI investigation into the mailing of anthrax-filled letters that killed five people and sickened 17 in 2001.
-Business Writer, The Associated Press Chicago
-Newsman, The Associated Press Madison, Wis.
-Managing Editor, The Herald-Leader Menominee, Mich.
-Communication: I tell stories in words, pictures and video about people whose deeds transcend the commonplace.
-Analysis: I excel at analyzing complex topics and explaining them in meaningful language for a general audience.
-Creativity: I’m an imaginative problem-solver, skilled at considering many viewpoints and looking beyond standard explanations.
-Organization: I approach a task by gathering information, categorizing data, outlining the project and completing it on time.
-Best of the Bureaus: National AP recognition for enterprise reporting, 1999
-John Hancock Award: For excellence in business journalism, 1988
-Charlie Chamberlain Award: From Illinois Associated Press for excellence in feature writing, 1987
-Michigan Associated Press First Place Award: For excellence in feature writing, 1980
-Bachelor of Arts in English Education, Michigan State University
-A-to-Z Grantwriting Online Course, 2016
–Smithsonian Folklife Festival, Washingon, D.C., 2016
-Great Lakes Folk Festival, East Lansing, Mich., 2016
-Appalachian Festival, Frostburg, Md., 2016
Above photo: Blue doors in New Orleans (Photo by David Dishneau)